Same Old Same Old
March 7, 2017
Boring. It’s the same old story.
1. The Donald rants something, the crazier the better.
2. The media begin to chant — first, repeating whatever was said (assuring that it’s spread far and wide), then begging for detail and proof – who, where, when and why.
3. The Donald repeats the original rant and demands an investigation.
4. The media adds investigation to the chant – investigate, who, where, when and why.
5. The Donald yells some non-sequitur. Perhaps, expressing an unwillingness to abide by the findings of any damn investigation or, maybe, claiming to have never said anything in the first place. This step may be repeated as necessary.
6. The media continue to chant a message, now so distorted and fragmented that no one remembers how insane the original rant was.
While this is amusing if one is drunk enough, after one-hundred-nineteen days of exposure since that election, this formula Trump shtick has gotten old. And frankly, the media deserve more blame than the Donald. Trump, like any predator, is going with what works. The media have no excuse for flying on autopilot during a storm – hurricane Donald doesn’t follow the rules, why do they?
For instance, when Trump Tweet rants, why repeat his message? Why do his distribution for him? A headline like “Trumps Rants on Twitter Again” with a link to the tweet as the story is sufficient coverage. We don’t need parsing, speculation or endless panel discussions.
Yeah, I’ve heard that, “Anything the president says is worth hearing, by virtue of the office” thing. It’s bullshit. The man’s a Twitter troll, a high-priced clown – he deserves no additional consideration because he holds a special job.
He does deserve additional scrutiny because of his job, just not consideration. Public safety organizations like the police, the mental health professionals and sexual predator watch list providers should be examining his every tweet. The rest of us don’t need to be showered with continuous resifting of Trump Twitter crap.
The republic needs to stop feeding the troll and outsource Donald Tweet processing. Qualified professionals should handle ongoing observation and analysis. Get back to us when you have either a diagnosis or an indictment.
In Peace and Justice